Tuesday, May 19, 2015

All the Way to Muscatine, Iowa


Musser Public Library was buzzing with activity from the moment the doors opened right up until we packed everything up to go home. Families literally were lined up outside waiting for the doors to open. I've never seen such anticipation over a library-event before. 750 people attended! I'd like to think it was because of the local authors, but I'm pretty sure it was the Luchador.


There were so many great moments from Saturday's Author Fair - from compliments on the writing in The Adventures of the Brothers Brave and Noble, to connecting with other authors I would have never had the opportunity to meet otherwise. The moments that stuck with me the most, though, were those I spent with the younger library goers.

I was delighted with the girl who came up to me saying, "I'm going to have a book published soon, too! Well I'm still writing it. I'm on Chapter Four. It's called..." She went on to share a story with me so original and brilliant I kind of wish I'd thought of it.

The fourth-grade-boy who had at least six Greek Mythology books in his arms, explaining he doesn't usually like fiction, but Greek Mythology is actually like a part of history, "so it's still good."

The little girls and boys who quietly stood at my table for a good long while, perfecting the coloring sheets I made available for their creative pleasure. Every now and then they'd look over at me and giggle, "I forgot to make my pig-tails!"
"I added flowers."
"I made the horse an alien."


Yes Saturday was a good day, and I was proud to be the one representing the Hewletts, and their Friends in the Existence. I'm honored to make sure their important story of imagination, keeping faith, and keeping friends, gets heard. From way out in the galaxy, all the way to Earth. All the way to Muscatine, Iowa.

Whatever is needed, whenever it's needed.


xo from under the kitchen table,
clh




No comments: